LOOPs or Local Opportunities for Older People support the over 65s in four areas across Edinburgh.
There is crossover geographically and demographically for many Forum members across the city, and the Edinburgh LOOPs do some great work helping older people engage with services they enjoy and value.
At the North East Edinburgh LOOP meeting held on 24th November, agenda items included:
- Care for Carers astronomy short breaks for carers and Christmas open day
- Community Connecting North East Edinburgh update, with volunteers who work to reduce social isolation in older people around Leith and beyond
- Talking About Later Life packs and surveys for finding out what kinds of needs older people in Edinburgh have
- Action on Elder Abuse Scotland updating us on policy, a helpline and future work around reducing harm to older people who are experiencing abuse
- Edinburgh Council run-through of statutory obligations for organisations to report suspected abuse to Care Direct Line
If you provide services for older people through your organisation, or want to meet experienced, like-minded third sector partners with a focus on older people, contact your local LOOP or email email@example.com and I’ll point you in the right direction.
There’s certainly an opportunity to arrange training with Forum members about what to do if elder abuse is suspected and what voluntary organisations are obliged under Scots law to do if they believe someone they know may be the victim of abuse.
PS: I also learnt from the LOOP meeting that Leith is one of the most densely populated urban areas in the UK!