Be Able is a service for older people, particularly aged 80+, who have long term health problems and have experienced one of the following:
- they’re not as steady on your feet as they would like to be
- they have recently had a fall or are worried about falling
- they’re worried about changes in their memory
- they’re not as confident as they would like to be
- they’re concerned about going out on their own
- they have difficulty using public transport
- they want to make a difference to their life but need some support to do this.
The service enables people to improve mobility, manage daily living tasks, take part in social activities and remain independent.
Clients come for 14-16 weeks, and a programme is tailored to their particular needs and the goals they want to achieve. Programmes include OTAGO strength and balance exercises and an option of cognitive stimulation therapy (if diagnosed with dementia) or an opportunity to work on individualised goals such as outdoor mobility or confidence building. The team will also carry out a comprehensive check to reduce the client’s risk of falling, including a home assessment and advice.
Transport can be provided.
Be Able are particularly looking for referrals in the South West locality at the moment.
For more information email email@example.com or contact Social Care Direct on 0131 200 2324.